Saturday, May 26, 2007

JUST SOME GUYS COMING BACK FROM IRAQ


I happened to be at the airport this morning picking up someone. While I was waiting just outside the terminal I noticed all these guys returning from Iraq were coming out. I shook hands with several and welcomed them home. Although I hate this war (just as I hated the Vietnam War) I do not hate the men and women who have to go be in the middle of it.

Anyway, as I greeted them (to which universally I got a polite "thank you sir" and a smile in return), I couldn't help but notice that they were all so young and not one appeared to be greeted by a family which could be described as well to do.

It must be so strange to be in Iraq one day and in an airport in the heart of America the next.

These guys were the "lucky ones" who came back in one piece and they are the "unlucky ones" whom Bush and his cronies will send back to Iraq again soon.

So young, just regular guys...it's ridiculous.

American Deaths
Since war began (3/19/03): 3444
Since "Mission Accomplished" (5/1/03) 3305
Since Capture of Saddam (12/13/03): 2983
Since Handover (6/29/04): 2585
Since Election (1/31/05): 2007
American Wounded
Total Wounded: 25549 (official) 23000 - 100000(estimated)

I know the numbers of Iraqi's killed and wounded far exceeds the above, but for today I'm just reporting on the Americans. These are the one's you'd think even the stupid Bushies would care about. But I honestly don't think they do, not really.

No comments: