Saturday, October 15, 2011

A FEW BRIEF COMMENTS FROM TODAY'S OCCUPY KANSAS CITY MARCH AND RALLY

It was a strange day.  I attended an American Indian Festival and then joined in the Occupy Kansas City (OKC) march as it passed by.  The festival is on somewhat special Indian ground which lies in a part of the African American Community.  Festival attendees were mostly Indians and blacks, and some whites like me.  It was nice and a nice day.  I knew the march was coming so I figured I would check it out and join as it went by.  

My  criticisms first (as always) and I will keep them brief. First, 200 white folks and maybe 10 or so (at the absolute most) black people marching to and rallying in a park in the black community (where I venture to say virtually none of the white folks had ever been before) is just weird. Maybe some people were reached that way. I don't know.  However, I believe that you don't march white folks into the black community without invitation, participation,and leadership from the community, especially its most politically conscious elements.  I believe that for white folks to gain the trust of African Americans they have to actually show and do something.  They have to combat white supremacy and racism and they have to do that amongst whites.  Malcolm X told white people just that.  He told them black folks didn't need white folks to come tell them about racism and injustice. He told them to confront other whites instead.  I take those words to heart.  Black folks also know all about bad economic times.  They have been in them forever . I just remain uncomfortable with white folks rallying in the black community. Been there, done that,don't like it no more. White folks need to recognize the need to support the struggle that blacks and other People of Color have been waging like forever and support it how they can.


Second, I ask, why bother to chant "whose streets, our streets" when you won't get in the streets. The streets don't belong to the people until the people take them.  OKC is very police, city ordinance friendly.  Recently their web cite asked everyone to thank any police officers they saw for being so nice.  I kid you not.

On the other hand my experience tells me that the more actions you have, the larger the movement will grow, the more militant it will become, and the more political consciousness may develop. OKC is very inexperienced for the most part and that is NOT a bad thing necessarily (although it never hurts to learn from the past, good and bad, as well)/ So to OKC, I say keep it up.  



I would add that recently a Direct Action Committee formed within the OKC.  It has some very good people and I think has the very definite potential to deal with lots of the problems I am always complaining about and being a great influence on the group as a whole.   Maybe I will drop in from time to time if that is okay. However, I really feel this movement is in the hands of  a new generation and me and mine should remain out of the way for the most part...for now.


Well, maybe just add a  little perspective from time to time.  I know we can't shut up.


Over and out for today.


UPDATE: 
 AFTER I POSTED THE ABOVE I DISCOVERED A FLYER THAT WAS HANDED TO ME.  IT DEALS WITH RACISM, PRISONS, ENVIRONMENTAL DESTRUCTION AN  EVEN CALLS FOR AN END TO CAPITALISM.  VERY GOOD.  DESERVES RECOGNITION.  IF I CAN FIND AN ON LINE COPY, I WILL PRINT.  DOESN'T CHANGE MY OPINION ON WHITES RALLYING IN BLACK COMMUNITY, BUT IT SHOWS THAT THE CONSCIOUSNESS OF OKC IS GROWING...  

2 comments:

Steffany said...

THANK YOU. I'm a 23 year-old black woman who has been extremely torn about participating in the OKC movement for precisely these reasons. Right on. You guys have great opinions and, honestly, I could hardly believe this is coming out of Kansas City because I rarely hear anyone in KC or Lawrence really addressing the core political, economic, or social issues in this country. Great, great, great job! Keep it up! Free Sundiata! Free Wallace! Free Woodfox! Free Mumia! And high five to you!

Oread Daily said...

thank you. your comment means a lot...