The people in Bhopal are aware that the water is poisonous, but they have no other alternative, Ortman said.
"There has been a higher rate of birth defects — boys tend to be smaller than normal, and girls tend to have menstrual problems," she said. "There has been a lot of mental illness that has not been addressed at all by the [Indian] government or either [Dow Chemical or Union Carbide]."
Despite "massive organizing" in India and support from organizations like the ICJB, the area's water remains contaminated and none of the responsible parties have attempted to clean the toxic water or chemical plant, she said.
Don’t let Dow Chemical Hijack Live Earth!
Dow LIVEsEARTH dies.
Read between the lines.
This April 18, Live Earth, a series of events “to help solve the water crisis,” will be held in locations all over the world. It is the ultimate irony that these events’ main sponsor is Dow Chemical, a corporate criminal responsible for the continued contamination of drinking water for 30,000 people in Bhopal, India and for causing severe water crises by poisoning the sources of water for people all over the world…
Where else has Dow poisoned with its toxic waste?
Find out now at http://www.bhopal.net/liveearth
Join us to expose Live Earth as Dow’s greenwashing front! Stand in solidarity with the people of Bhopal against this corporate propaganda! Here’s how you can get involved…
Live Earth will consist of 6 km runs/walks (the average distance many women and children walk every day to secure water), concerts, and water education activities around the world. We want to expose Dow’s lies by spreading the word about Dow’s crimes in Bhopal and beyond to those participating in Live Earth events, and we need your help!
Find a LiveEarth event near you at www.liveearth.org.
1) Sign the International Campaign for Justice in Bhopal’s (ICJB) petition against Dow’s sponsorship of Live Earth. www.bhopal.net/petition
2) Use our stencils to make t-shirts, signs, banners, tags, headbands, etc. Attend a Live Earth event near you wearing a Bhopal t-shirt an anti-Dow t-shirt under another t-shirt. When the run starts, take off your first layer and make your statement. http://www.bhopal.net/worldmap/toolkit.html
3) Hand out fliers about water contamination in Bhopal and Dow’s history of environmental violence.
4) Document your actions! Send your pictures and videos to ICJB at email@example.com to share with the international community of Bhopal supporters.
5) Truly help solve the water crisis by donating to ICJB, a grassroots organization composed of survivors of the Bhopal gas disaster and environmentalists worldwide working to ameliorate the crisis in Bhopal and prevent future industrial contamination.
6) Act on your own ideas on scuttling Dow’s greenwashing attempts through LiveEarth. Send us your ideas too, at firstname.lastname@example.org. or on Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=348498538304&ref=ts
Access all these tools and more at www.bhopal.net !